- Analysis & Instrumentation
- Cleaning, Polishing & Grinding
- Clinical diagnostics
- Coating & Surface Treatment
- Controlled & Modified Atmospheres
- Cutting, Joining and Heating
- Environmental monitoring & protection
- Freezing & Cooling
- Fumigation & Pest Control
- Heat Treatment
- Inerting, Purging & Blanketing
- Melting & Heating
- Molding, Foaming, Forming & Extrusion
- Petrochemical Processing & Refining
- Pressurisation & Propellant
- Pharmaceutical Processing
- Process Chemistry & Refining
- Water & Soil Treatment
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
Metal Inert Gas (MIG) / Metal Active Gas (MAG) welding refers to a group of arc welding processes that use the heat generated by a DC electric arc to fuse the metal in the joint area. A continuous electrode (the wire) is fed by powered feed rolls (wire feeder) into the weld pool.
An electric arc is created between the tip of the wire and the weld pool. The wire is progressively melted at the same speed at which it is being fed and forms part of the weld pool. Both the arc and the weld pool are protected against atmospheric contamination by a shield of inert (non-reactive) gas.
The MIG/MAG process is suited to a variety of applications provided the shielding gas, electrode (wire) size and welding parameters have been correctly set. Welding parameters include the voltage, travel speed, arc (stick-out) length and wire feed rate. The arc voltage and wire feed rate will determine the filler metal transfer method.
Maximising the Advantage of MIG/MAG Welding
We deliver a range of tried-and-tested MIG/MAG welding gases under our CORGON®,CRONIGON®,VARIGON® and FORMIER® families. These mixes have been designed to bring you the full benefits of MIG/MAG welding. These include continuity, speed, comparative freedom from distortion coupled with the reliability of automatic welding with the versatility and control of manual welding. Our application experts can also advise you on the mixture and operating parameters best suited to your needs, also supporting you with the equipment and gas management services you need.